Friday, November 14, 2008

The Fun that is me getting serious..

I normally don't rant and rave on this blog about serious things. I like to keep it surface oriented. BUT I read about this today and just could not believe it.

In Nebraska, like most other states, they have a Safe Haven Law. This law allows a parent to theoretically drop off a "child" at any hospital -

"The law currently states: "No person shall be prosecuted for any crime based solely upon the act of leaving a child in the custody of an employee on duty at a hospital licensed by the State of Nebraska.
"The hospital shall promptly contact appropriate authorities to take custody of the child." "

- Courtesy of http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7728942.stm

The problem is that people are liberally construing the word "child", which has led children up to the age of 17 to be dropped off. They are going to re-approach this law soon and I hope that they put some limitatinos on the word "child". I can't even image being a 17 year old child who, as a teenager, acts out - rebels - argues - generally acts like a teenager - only to be taken to a hospital by your parents, and dropped off to be under the care of the State. Seems like an indirect way for parents to get rid of unruly children and therefore not have to be a "parent". Cop out to me. I understand the idea behind dropping off newborns under this law. Id much rather see a newborn dropped off at a hospital then left in a dumpster when the mother realizes she doesn't want to keep the baby. But teenagers?

That's my little rant for the day. Not sure why that struck at me so hard, but it did.

No comments: