Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Random act of kindness.

My apartment building is, well, like a compound. Its surrounded by gates which you cannot gain access to without the special "card" (walk though gates - drive through gates). As a tenant, a card was bestowed upon me for my use. I kept it in safe keeping for 3 years, and at some point last fall it became "lost" or rather fell out of my car somewhere in Houston. What they don't tell you is that this card costs $50.00 bucks to replace, that's a new pair of shoes. And I'd much rather spend my $50.00 on a pair of shoes then a new "card". So, rather than spend the $50.00, I have a refined system to get into my apartment (which my boyfriend thinks is ridiculous and that I should just go get a new card, but I stand firm). I wait in the bank parking lot across the "street" from the entrance for a car to enter the gate, and then I annoyingly follow behind that car. Sometimes, I even try to sneak in the out gate. Yes, friends, all these efforts so that I do not have to spend $50.00 on a new card. Some call me frugal, others call me smart. I take the latter position.

Well, last night, as I was waiting in the bank parking lot with the food I picked on my way home from work from Whole Foods, the hot food that was getting colder as I sat and waited for someone to come through the gate, the "out" gate opened and a truck rolled through. As this was happening, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be nice if that person in the truck stopped and swiped his card on the "in" gate side to let me in? And what do you know, that's exactly what he did. He rolled through the gate. Stopped, got out of this truck, and let me in. For that he got a very friendly wave and smile.

And this folks, is why I love living in Texas.

No comments: