Friday, August 20, 2010

Five years later...

My aunt told me something once and it really stuck - one day you'll look in the mirror and think, who is this person staring back at me? Because I certainly only feel 21 years old... So maybe I'm not that far off from 21, but man has the time flown the past five years.

Five years ago this month I packed my stuff up from my parents house in Arlington, and moved down to this heat and humidity filled sauna. Moving in August in Houston may not have been the brightest idea, but alas, it's what I did. I moved into my first place that I would live in all by myself. A one bedroom apartment. All mine. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about that yet, considering I lived with some great girls during college, but I figured it would atleast keep the distractions low for when I needed to focus on that law stuff. I knew a handful of people in Houston (two of which were related to me). And I could not locate the nearest grocery store, CVS, or target. I definitely wasn't in Waco anymore.

Five years ago this week, I attended law school orientation. I remember walking up to the law school, and thinking, what have I gotten myself into. I didn't know a soul. The law school building was, for lack of  a better word, ugly, and there was a strange "thinking" man statue out front. I remember thinking - this is really where I am about to spend 3 years of my life? Really? It wasn't the picturesque red brick buildings and green lawns of my college years. So maybe I was being a bit superficial, can you blame me? Despite my feelings, I was generally excited/nervous about the years that lay ahead of me. What did these three years hold for me? I was about to find out...I checked in, received a name badge, "section B" tag, and told to go stand over there.

Way back in the day...
Another oldie but a goodie (college roomie Sarah!)
Lainey's wedding.
Five years later, I'm now a second year, almost third year attorney, I survived law school, met a boy and fell in love, changed hair color multiple times, and made some amazing friends (many of whom I met that day five years ago). And I now know more than a handful of people in this humid city by the bayous.

My birthday this past May.


I wouldn't do anything different the last five years (okay, maybe a few things, but those aren't blog topics). I like where I am now, who I am now (still a little rough around the edges, but that's okay), and what I've done with my life.

I can't wait to see what the next five years hold for me.




2 comments:

d.a.r. said...

It's funny to think back to the beginning of this journey. One of my dearest friends is applying to law school for Fall 2011 and has been calling asking about application stuff and the LSAT. It all seems so long ago!

Congrats on all of your accomplishments!

Melissa said...

It is very strange to think about the first year of being in Houston. Time really flies!